Friday, December 5, 2008

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

For those of you not very up on the blog technology (which includes me) there are things called 'gadgets' which you can put on your blog which do all sorts of things like tell you the time where I am. See the digital time on your left? - that's a 'gadget'. 

Anyway, since it's after midnight here and I uncharacteristically got a lot of sleep last night I am trying to do quiet things, and playing around on my laptop is (sort of) a good way to do this (i tunes aside). So, I decided it would be fun to find a gadget of a map and pin exactly where I am. But, instead of finding a great, clear little gadget which lets me pin Chittagong in Bangladesh, i found this:

ISS PositionISS PositionAdd
This gadget shows the current position of the International Space Station on a world map. --- Dies Gadget zeigt die aktuelle Position der ISS auf einer Weltkarte. --- Este gadget indica la posiciĆ³n corriente de la ISS en un mapa mundial.
By Dirk Matussek 

Now I was very, very tempted to add this gadget to my blog until I thought through the whole dodgy internet connection thing, and then the reality of how long it would take to remove once I was over the novelty and the realisation (not for the first time) that some people out there are really nerdy. 

Not that I have anything against nerds. I admit to having one or two nerdy traits of my own (e.g. "i thought that would be too labour intensive" is a serious reply I gave a friend today when discussing food preparation. On reflection, a simple 'I couldn't be bothered' would have sufficed). 

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. Thank You, Dirk, for this little distraction! I never even knew I could contemplate the question of Where Over The World Is The International Space Station Right Now?! 

See, it's true. You do learn something new every day.

No comments: