Friday, January 2, 2009

Electioneering

After all the hype and hypersensitivity - Bangladesh has a new democratically elected government! 

In an (acknowledged) rare move I will refrain from giving my personal opinion on the election and the winning party for the dual reasons of following AYAD policy in keeping our noses out of politics, and because I spent 99% of the election period inside my apartment in excellent company with virtually no connections to the outside world so I'm only just coming up to speed myself. 

But I will let others do the talking for me - here's a snippet from BBC World News. 

01:19 GMT, Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Bangladesh stunned by Awami victory

By Sabir Mustafa
BBC News, Dhaka

Sheikh Hasina casts her vote at a Dhaka polling booth, 29 December 2008

Bangladesh is set for a government with the biggest parliamentary majority since 1973, following Monday's general elections designed to bring an end to two years of military-backed rule.

In an election marked by high turnout and few incidents, the centre-left Awami League - headed by former prime minister Sheikh Hasina - and its allies pulled off a stunning victory, winning a two-thirds majority in the single-chamber national assembly.



No comments: