Sunday, March 8, 2009

Another Girl's Paradise

While International Women’s Day isn’t huge in Australia, it’s a pretty big deal in Bangladesh, at least among the Government and army of Non Government Organisations here. I celebrated this morning with my colleagues by singing a song, forming a ‘human chain’, strolling down the street behind a special-purpose banner, and having a workshop where we each reflected on why International Women’s Day is important.

Having just finished reading Sex Slaves: the trafficking of women in Asia by Louise Brown, I hardly needed any reminding, not to mention the massive discrepancies between the sexes I both witness and experience every day. It’s truly hard to grasp at times.

I won’t dwell myself on all the ways and means of global gender discrimination (oh, how I spare you all), but highly recommend taking the time out to look at these two sites which do a much better job than me at telling stories of women around the globe:

Women and War: International Committee of the Red Cross
Reuters: Focus on International Women’s Day

Happy International Women’s Day to you all.

Disclaimer: I promise to return to my non-earnest self soon, and post much more appropriately about my ever increasing culinary skills which led to me eating a whole meal olive and sundried tomato bread scroll thingy for lunch today. Talk about a treat!

No comments: