Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ask for Answers

As enthusiastic as I am for my job, there are some days where I ask myself why I've elected to give up living in a great country, in a great city, in a great house with great flatmates and a great salary to fund a great lifestyle to ... well, if you're a regular reader of my blog, you can probably insert the relevant experiences yourself.

And then I come across articles like this in today's Sydney Morning Herald online, which I urge you to read. Having assumed a degree of laziness, however, I have pulled out the bit I most identified with:

"The vast conurbations of the developing world are largely unsewered. They have little clean water. They pile humans, pigs, chickens, dogs, cats and rats on top of each other. The largest cities each contain as many people as Australia. They are perfect incubators of species-hopping viruses of all kinds. And the viruses only have to make it to the nearest airport to make a global impact.

There is, however, no need to terrify ourselves about the inevitability of new pandemics.

We know how to prevent the spread of most pandemic diseases and to stop minor outbreaks from becoming major problems. A century ago, industrialised countries invested in sewers and water works and created basic primary healthcare systems available to all, regardless of income. Livestock was banished from the cities and instead raised and slaughtered in separate, hygienic new facilities".

Bill Bowtell, The Deadbeat of International Aid


Today I can say, unequivocally, that there is nothing else at all I'd rather be doing at this time in my life.

No comments: