Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I was only 19

In an unusual move I am taking the time out of my Bangladeshi adventures to add my two cents worth in to the The Matthew Johns Incident even though I’m far away and even though it’s no doubt been done to death in the Australian media and even though I see so much worse on a daily basis in terms of the treatment of women and the construction of masculinity and femininity here in the ‘desh but … this particular media issue has basically enraged me more than most, and the subsequent Facebook retaliation of ‘bring back the biff’ and other such ‘support matty’ groups leaves an awful taste in my mouth.

For a more articulate and considered position on the issue than I can muster right now take a peek at this response by Rachel Hills, a young Sydney based journo firmly in my age group.

My response:

I've tried picturing myself at 19, buoyed on the confidence of too much champas (ok, let's pretend I would not have been skolling Bicardi Breezers), in a room with an older (semi) famous sportsman flattering me enough to part with my clothes and then trying to work out what to do as another (semi) famous sportsman and then another (semi) fam.., and another, and.... until I couldn't help but want to run and hide from the naive, insecure, inexperienced and easily (mis)led girl I remember I was when I was 19.

Consent; rape; power; age; masculinity; femininity; just say no; she didn't say no; we should all say no; oh to be a footballer's wife; oh to be older; did she say no? I don't remember; what goes on tour; just get over it; she's in it for the money..........whatever

To borrow (and slightly amend) from Redgum: "She was only 19".

No comments: