Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sleeping Rough

Call me slow, but I used to wonder why it is often difficult to get people in dangerous mosquito prone areas to sleep under a mosquito net. It seemed like a no-brainer: Sleep under net & avoid nasty blood-letting and possible infection with malaria/dengue. End of story. I even thought it was kind of...exotic. Sleeping under the net would be akin to those princess type beds I wanted so much when I was a kid. And the romance! There didn't appear to be a downside.

But oh, how my tune has changed. Here's the bit no one actually mentions... IT"S BLOODY HOT UNDER THERE! It turns out that mosquitoes are not the only thing the netting keeps out. Fresh air, or any air flow at all, is rendered virtually impossible.

As I lay awake underneath one the other night, feeling the sweat soak into my pyjamas, the overhead fan churning away uselessly, I spared a thought for those who do this every night. It's crap.

My plea to designers is to come up with a mosquito net that manages to allow airflow while keeping out the nasties. And make it cheap, please. Adoption rates need all the help they can get, considering malaria still causes over a million deaths each year.

No comments: