Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Anniversaries and adversaries

While I’m on the topic of elections I notice it has been twelve months since I cast my vote, along with millions of other Australians, to bring the Howard years to an end. I’d like to take this moment to say thanks Kev for saying sorry, and cheers Julia for the hard slog that has been (and will continue to be) the burying of the ironically termed Work Choices.

As an aside, it is a welcome breathe of fresh air to note a significant different in the way Australians are both viewed and received abroad. Having been overseas (in Russia) for the shameful Tampa incident, I was granted a front row seat to the international criticism of our government’s behaviour. It wasn’t pretty.

While that incident was a while ago, I have been overseas often enough between now and then (before you think I’m bragging, you should see my bank balance) to know that international attitudes to our government were wary. Not so anymore! It seems people (well, the ones who know where we are) are impressed with our ratification of the Kyoto protocol, supportive of our increased involvement in the international community, and interested to see how we harness the opportunity for an improved relationship with China, and that’s just to start with.

So, happy 1st birthday Kevin07 and Cabinet. Happy birthday.

No comments: