Sunday, November 16, 2008

Everything in its right place

Me: I want to go to Dhaka this weekend, how should I get there?

Local friend: By overnight train or bus, whatever you prefer

Me: Oh, I prefer trains. Is it safe?

Local friend: Safe on train, yes. I think it is no problem.

Me: Ok great, I love sleeper trains! I’ll get a sleeper berth

Local friend: What? No, you can’t, you are travelling alone?

Me: Of course I am. Why can’t I get a sleeper ticket?

Local friend: because you’re a female travelling alone. Better to get a seat

Me:………a seat

Local friend: Yes, a seat. An overnight seat.

Me: ……. A seat

Local friend (big smile): Yes, a seat. It is comfortable, I think for you it is ok. A seat.

Me: And if I was a man?

Local friend: of course you would go sleeper, it is more comfortable. But for you, a seat is best

Me: ……… right. A seat it is then.

No comments: